Message from the Regional Chairman
"Physiotherapy keeps moving forward in Africa"
In July 2017 a new Board for the Region was elected for a one time three-year term. This was agreed on by MOs to afford the region realign to its even year of activities.
We live in a world that is moving very fast as far as science and technology are concerned and this affects all aspects of life, including health. Africa faces a myriad of challenges in the area of physiotherapy, especially training, which needs a lot of collaborative efforts amongst countries in the Region and beyond to equip us confront them. Other challenges are clinical practice (regulations), continuing professional development and research.
For the first time a WCPT Congress was held in the Africa Region (Congress 2017) and it was also the first WCPT Congress for the new two-yearly congress cycle. This did not afford the Africa region to hold its Biennial congress but it was great by all standards and could not have occurred at a better time.
We must therefore take advantage of any or all opportunities that emanated from the Cape Town congress and others that may come our way to improve our practices with the aim to provide good quality but affordable care to our clients.
The Board during its tenure therefore intends to continue prosecuting objectives that will bring significant advancement for the profession in the region. These are to:
- Improve and maintain regular communication and exchange between the Board and Member countries.
- Strengthen active partnership and collaboration among WCPT Africa members and other international partners.
- Encourage sub-regional groupings and collaborations.
- Strengthen local and regional membership.
- Revive the forum of the Africa physiotherapy educators’ forum.
- Develop clinical and academic subgroups of common interests in Africa Region.
- Promote collaborative grant awarded regional projects.
We are hopeful to strike out some of the items listed above as accomplished by the time we meet at the next Congress.
Chair - WCPT Africa Region