WCPT Africa Region Congresses
Every two years, WCPT Africa Region hosts a scientific congress that showcases regional advancement in physiotherapy research, practice and education. This spectacular event brings together physiotherapists from all over Africa and the rest of the world. The congress which is preceded by a General Meeting ordinarily runs for 3 wonderful days of stimulating programming, networking opportunities, and an exhibit hall filled with products and services pertinent to the practice and education of Physiotherapy. Pre- and post congress workshops are an exiting feature on the programs of the congresses.
- 2020 – 11th WCPTA Congress, Cotonou, Benin.
- 2014 – 10th WCPT-A Congress, Lusaka, Zambia
- 2012 – 9th WCPT-A Congress, Nairobi Kenya
- 2010 – 8th WCPT-A Congress, Accra, Ghana
- 2008 – 7th WCPT-A Congress, Abuja, Nigeria.
- 2006 – 6th WCPT-A Congress, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. Theme, “Addressing Diseases of Lifestyle”.
- 2004 – 5th WCPT-A Congress, Lusaka, Zambia. Theme “Facing a Challenge”.
- 2001 – 4th WCPTA Congress, Kampala, Uganda.
- 1998 – 3rd WCPTA Congress, Pretoria, South Africa.
- 1996 – 2nd WCPTA Congress, Harare, Zimbabwe.
- 1994 – 1st WCPTA Congress, Nairobi, Kenya.
The 5th WCPT Africa Congress was held in Lusaka, Zambia in 2004. The theme was “Facing a Challenge”, addressing issues such as physiotherapy education, service delivery, and the involvement of physiotherapists in managing people with HIV/AIDS.
In August 2006 the 6th WCPT Africa Biannual Scientific Congress and General Meeting was hosted by the Association of Physiotherapists in Tanzania with participants from physical therapy organisations in 12 countries: Kenya, Malawi, Namibia, Nigeria, Rwanda, Somalia, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania and Uganda. The theme, “Addressing Diseases of Lifestyle” reflected the rise of lifestyle diseases such as heart diseases, chronic pulmonary diseases, diabetes and obesity in African communities.
From August 18-22, 2008, the 7th WCPT Africa Biannual Scientific Congress and General Meeting was hosted by the Nigeria Society of Physiotherapy at the International Conference Center, Abuja, Nigeria. The 8th congress held in Ghana in 2010. Kenya and Zambia were hosts respectively in 2012 and 2014.
The 11th WCPT-A Congress that was to be hosted in South Africa in 2016 was integrated into the first ever Biannual WCPT World Congress 2017 -Cape Town. Benin will host the 11th WCPT-A Congress in 2020.